6th Meeting 14/07

Date of Supervision Meeting14/07/21
Start time of Meeting10:00
Length of Meeting in minutes30 mins
Meeting Notes & Action PointsIt was good to catch up with Wendy and go through the progress that I have made with my project. With the latest revelations of the work, it will be important to let this sit and be fully absorbed to see where the work develops. However, I set out to find an answer to a question and have ended up getting an answer so it is now important to see how this works with the work and not let it get too fixed down. Wendy enjoys the openness of the work and this is something that should remain within the edit that I put together. How image and text work together will play a crucial role in this.It was suggested that I take a look at the work of Lisa Barnard and also re-visit Jack Latham’s talk. It was also suggested that I go back and write a new project descriptor to define what my project is now. Themes of redemption and how potential that circle of trauma had been broken leading to how we live today, which I am going to research much more. It is important that I ‘Pull myself back to intentionality.’
I will continue to talk with book designer with the next meeting planned tomorrow and start to document this part of the process. Wendy reminded me that the submission is merely an iteration in which the project can continue to develop
Date of Next Proposed Meeting4/8/21

5th Meeting 09/06

Date of Supervision Meeting09/06/21
Start time of Meeting11:00
Length of Meeting in minutes30 minutes
Meeting Notes & Action PointsMeeting with Colin whilst Wendy is away. Meeting was really positive as I took Colin through my current progress and everything that I have been working on since the end of the module he supported before the FMP. One of the biggest takeaways was to really work on the text elements of this project and all of the quotes I have been collecting from the members of my family. The text could work in its own right and carry the narrative all the way through the work. At the beginning of the work, the text that also starts off the sequence will be important and could pose a question that has enough ambiguity and doesn’t tie the work down. Also important to place myself in the work more, so worth exploring this too.
Date of Next Proposed Meeting07/07/21 @10:00

4th Meeting 20/4

Date of Supervision Meeting20/04/21
Start time of Meeting12:30
Length of Meeting in minutes35 minutes
Meeting Notes & Action PointsUseful discussion about how the project is developing to consider the idea of belief, which meant that I have a way of approaching respectful representation of persons depicted in the work. I have some work to do to tie in some of this new work with the existing images and if it should be a development away from the original. Writing will also be useful to properly contextualise the project.
– I suggested that my outcome could include differences between each version in order to undermine the reading of it, which was supported by Wendy and suggested this is the way we individually read the family album. 
– Zoe Leonard would be useful to look at in the way that she utilises false narratives
– Susan Hiller in the way that she considers ideas of belief
– Marina Warner – Phantasmogoria
Date of Next Proposed Meeting16/06/21 @12:00

3rd Meeting 16/03

Date of Supervision Meeting16/03/21
Start time of Meeting12:30
Length of Meeting in minutes35 minutes
Meeting Notes & Action PointsIt was useful to show the progress of my project and the experiments that I have been working on in relation to my family archive.

– We briefly discussed the portfolio review with Mariamma Attah, which was incredibly useful in the ways that she encouraged and challenged my work. Wendy encouraged me to review her keynote lecture to consolidate the points she made during the review. 

– In particular, about the future of photography being collaborative

– I need to work towards identifying people to work with on the project.

– Review Seba Kurtis work.

– The experimentation is a really good way to move forward with the project at this stage and I should continue doing so

– It would be worth getting the work printed out to start creating some sequencing and reviewing how the work is starting to fit and come together.
Date of Next Proposed Meeting20/04/21

2nd Meeting 23/02

Date of Supervision Meeting23/02/21
Start time of Meeting12:30
Length of Meeting in minutes35 minutes
Meeting Notes & Action PointsPositive feedback received for my project proposal and there were a number of suggestions for practitioners and guest lecturers to look at in relation to archive and the family album:
– Pat Martin: most recent edition of Foam magazine
– Tom Seymour: Guest Lecture on sharing work
– Diana Markosia
– Jacque Derrida – Archive Fever
– Zoe Leonard – Fictional Archive
– Sophie Calle – in relation to unreliable narrators
– Sara Davidman

I was encouraged to review a number of the guest lectures and also consider how I might position myself in relation to working with archive and family albums. I also intend to start reaching out to other practitioners to gain feedback on my concepts.
Date of Next Proposed Meeting16/03/21

1st meeting 26/01

Date of Supervision Meeting26/01/21
Start time of Meeting12:30
Length of Meeting in minutes30
Meeting Notes & Action PointsThis was the first meeting with Wendy and we discussed the content of my pecha kucha presentation. It was suggested that I take a look at the work of Gideon Mendel because of the way that he uses objects in his series ‘Dzhangal’ and also the Jack Latham guest lecture because of the way that he creates a kind of detective story with his approach to projects. Both these photographers work in a documentary way but challenge what it means to produce work like this. 

I should also pay special attention to Anthony Prothero’s case study as there are some similarities to consider in relation to the ideas of reality and fiction that my work has hinted at.

Photographers and writing to look at:

– Ed Clark (Guest Lecture)
– Gideon Mendel (Dzhangal series)
– Dana Lixemburg – Imperial Courts series
– Daniel Blight – An Image of Whiteness

I should also start to consider the ways in which I can share my work and should look at making contact with some relevant organisations. For example: Grain. I should also aim to keep two or three strands to the project open at once, especially owing to the current situation. What is possible to photograph with the current restrictions.
Date of Next Proposed Meeting23/02/21 12:30